Teens now use e-cigarettes more than any other nicotine-containing product. In this lesson, students gain a scientific understanding of the known hazards and potential risks of electronic cigarettes, which contain the same addictive nicotine found in cigarettes. Includes an adapted version for grades 4-6 reading level.
Meets Common Core State Standards:
- RST.6-8.7 / RST.9-10.7 – Integrate and evaluate content presented in diverse formats, including visually and quantitatively, as well as in words
- W.6-8.1 / W.9-10.1 – Write arguments to support claims, using valid reasoning and relevant and sufficient evidence
Meets Next Generation Science Standards:
- Analyzing and Interpreting Data/Engaging in Argument from Evidence/Obtaining, Evaluating, and Communicating Information
National Science Education Standards:
- Personal Health
- Science and technology in society/Science and technology in local, national, and global challenges
National Council for the Social Studies:
- 8. – Science, Technology, and Society.