Students learn about the damage inhalants and prescription drugs can cause to the brain when not used as intended or by someone for whom they are not prescribed. Abuse of these drugs can be common because they are legal and easily accessible. Following the lesson, students will participate in a Challenge activity where they will use colored papers to organize facts about these drugs. Additional activities include a public service announcement, the student magazine, the CD-ROM, and handouts. The Brain Power! series also includes modules for Grades K-1, Grades 2-3, and Grades 4-5.
What's in the Lesson Plan:
- 1 step-by-step module
- Resources for students
- Parents guides
- Online activities
- CD-ROM activities (online version)
Student Skills Targeted:
- Knowledge of the effects of prescription drugs.
- Understanding of how prescription drugs affect the functioning of the brain and body when not used properly.
- Understanding of how inhalants can change the brain.
- Understanding of why it is important to use medication as instructed.
Time / Duration:
- 1 class period
- Computer with Internet access
- Printer/copier for student handouts
Alignment with National Standards:
- National Science Education Standards