Using data from the 2019 Monitoring the Future survey on teens’ self-reported use of drugs, this activity is designed to help students in grades 7 through 12 understand how to obtain, analyze, and interpret data, and to argue from evidence.
What's in the Lesson Plan:
- Data from Monitoring the Future
- NIDA for Teens’ Stats & Trends in Teen Drug Use
- NIDA’s Drug Facts for teens
Student Skills Targeted:
- Calculating percentage change
- Comparing/interpreting data sets (from line charts, tables, and bar graphs)
- Reading comprehension
- Critical thinking
Time / Duration:
- 1–2 class periods
- Computer with Internet access per 1 or 2 students
- Paper and pencils/pens
Alignment with National Standards:
- Informed by Common Core State Standards for Math, National Health Education Standards 2 and 3.