The signs listed below may suggest a developing problem, which you should discuss with an adult you trust:
- hanging out with different friends
- not caring about your appearance
- getting worse grades in school
- missing classes or skipping school
- losing interest in your favorite activities
- getting in trouble in school or with the law
- having different eating or sleeping habits
- having more problems with family members and friends
Questions to Ask: Do You Have a Problem?
Answering yes to any of the following questions may indicate a problem:
- Have you ever ridden in a car driven by someone (including yourself) who had been using alcohol or drugs?
- Do you ever use alcohol or drugs to relax, to feel better about yourself, or to fit in?
- Do you ever use alcohol or drugs when you are alone?
- Do you ever forget things you did while using alcohol or drugs?
- Do family or friends ever tell you to cut down on your use of alcohol or drugs?
- Have you ever gotten into trouble while you were using alcohol or drugs?