Here are some ways that you can protect yourself from being given drugs without your knowledge:
- Don’t accept beverages from other people.
- Open your own bottles and cans.
- Keep your beverage with you at all times, even when you go to the bathroom.
- Don't share beverages.
- Don't drink from punch bowls or other common, open containers.
- If someone offers to get you a refreshment from a bar or at a party, go with the person to order it. Watch it being poured and carry it yourself.
- Don't drink anything that tastes or smells strange. Sometimes, GHB (date rape drug) tastes salty.
- If you realize you left your beverage unattended, pour it out and get a new one.
- If you feel drunk even though you haven’t had any alcohol, or you feel strange in any other way, get help immediately.
For more information, see information on Club Drugs.