- The Real Cost (U.S. Food and Drug Administration)
- Fresh Empire (U.S. Food and Drug Administration)
- E-Cigarettes: The Facts (National Institute on Drug Abuse)
- Youth and Tobacco (U.S. Food and Drug Administration)
- Youth Tobacco Prevention (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Drug Facts: Tobacco, Nicotine, & E-Cigarettes (National Institute on Drug Abuse)
- Smokefree Teens (National Cancer Institute)
- Be Tobacco Free (U.S. Department of Health & Human Services)
If you are interested in an event that focuses primarily on tobacco, here are links to the newest government campaign on teens and tobacco and other resources.
Despite some promising signs that traditional cigarette use is decreasing among teenagers, unacceptably high numbers of youth continue to smoke, and recent studies show an alarming number of teens are trying e-cigarettes. NIDA’s 2014 Monitoring the Future survey found that 17.1 percent of 12th graders reported using e-cigarettes in the prior month.
With new research finding that teens using e-cigarettes are likely to start smoking tobacco within the following year, we must be vigilant about educating teens on the health effects of tobacco and nicotine in all forms. If your community is interested in holding a tobacco-focused event for National Drug & Alcohol Facts WeekSM, we have resources to assist you in planning your event.
Find an Expert: If you choose to have a tobacco expert at your event, use these tips for finding the right person: Adult Advisors and Sponsors for National Drug & Alcohol Facts WeekSM.
- National Youth Tobacco Survey (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and U.S. Food and Drug Administration)
- Surgeon General’s Report on Preventing Tobacco Use Among Youth and Young Adults (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
- Smoking & Tobacco Use: Data & Statistics (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
Materials, including fact sheets and campaign posters, can be ordered directly from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s “The Real Cost” campaign clearinghouse.
Orders must be placed by January 15 for guaranteed arrival.
Informational videos and digital media, including widgets for your website, are available through the Center for Tobacco Products Exchange Lab.