If you are interested in an event or promotional activity that focuses on reaching college-age young adults, here are links to resources from the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) and others.
Read More About College-Age Young Adults
There is a lot of misinformation about drug and alcohol use being distributed to college-age young adults through popular culture, the Internet, TV, movies, contemporary music and social media. National Drug and Alcohol Facts Week® is an opportunity to share science based information with these young people who are eager to learn more. This week-long observance is coordinated by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) and the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA).
If your college is interested in holding an event or promotional activity during National Drug and Alcohol Facts Week®, we have resources to assist you in your planning.
Federal Resources for College-Age Young People
NOTE: All resources are from the National Institute on Drug Abuse and available online only unless otherwise indicated.
- Drugs, Brains, and Behavior: The Science of Addiction (can be ordered)
- College-Age & Young Adults – Includes links for Fact Sheets, Research and Statistics, Publications, and many more links of interest
- Press Release: Vaping, marijuana use in 2019 rose in college-age adults (
- View infographic: Drug and Alcohol Use in College-Age Adults in 2019
- National Drug & Alcohol IQ Challenge
- Behavioral Health among College Students Information & Resource Kit – Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- Campus Drug Prevention – The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)
- Podcasts – Launched in January 2018, these podcasts are posted monthly and feature interviews with prevention professionals at the federal, national, state, and local levels, based around five questions related to drug use and college students.
- How to Help a Friend – Guidance on how to talk to a friend, roommate etc., you think may have a substance abuse problem.
- Publications – A list of DEA and non-DEA publications related to drug use and the college population.
- CollegeAIM—the College Alcohol Intervention Matrix – National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- Pick Your Poison – U.S. National Library of Medicine Online Exhibition
Multimedia and Interactive Resources
- Advice to Parents: Drugs & College 101 (5:56) (National Institute on Drug Abuse)
- Alcohol and You: An Interactive Body (National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism)
- College Addiction Studies Programs – A searchable database of 400 undergraduate and graduate programs in addiction studies at colleges and universities around the country (National Institute on Drug Abuse)
- Drug and Alcohol Use in College-Age Adults in 2018 Infographic (National Institute on Drug Abuse)
- Drugs & Health Blog (National Institute on Drug Abuse for Teens)
- Prevention Profiles: Take Five - Dr. Nora Volkow (NIDA) Podcast (Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA): Campus Drug Prevention)
Materials, including booklets and educational posters, can be ordered directly from the NIDA clearinghouse in advance of your NDAFW event. To ensure materials arrive in time, please order them no later than 2 weeks prior to your event or activity.
Promoting your young adult focused event for National Drug and Alcohol Facts Week® has never been easier! NIDA’s Promote with Online Toolkit section has everything you need to generate buzz for your event. And for help planning your event, visit NIDA’s 5 Steps to Hosting an NDAFW Event and the Get Activity Ideas & Toolkits page. NDAFW 2021 will be March 22-28.
Find an Expert: If you choose to have a alcohol expert at your event or promotional activity, use these tips for finding the right person: Adult Advisors and Sponsors for National Drug and Alcohol Facts Week®.
HHS Syndication Storefront
Select NIDA content is available for you to use on your own site. Through HHS Syndication Storefront, you may promote this high quality content on your website and it will take on the look and feel of your site. This syndicated content will also update content in real time, leaving you free from having to perform manual updates.