NIDA’s Truth poll is offered to students during National Drug and Alcohol Facts Chat Day to encourage them to think about their daily challenges related to substance use in their student and family communities. The questions are the same every year, so responses can be tracked year to year.
I am too afraid to ask the school nurse about drugs.
I really don’t know how marijuana affects the teenage brain.
There are things I wish I could tell my parents but I am afraid they will judge me.
Sometimes I feel too sad to go to school.
I have a friend who held a party where there were no adults.
I don’t think marijuana is all that bad.
I know an adult who has a drinking problem.
My parents do not understand my stress.
I think teenagers are pretty smart about drugs.
I think drug users are losers.
What’s the best way for a doctor to talk to their teen patients about drug use?
- The doctor should focus only on the health effects of drugs. - 37.00%
- It would be best if he/she just gives some statistics about how common drug use is among teens. - 21.00%
- Teens would prefer a booklet, not talk. - 16.00%
- The doctor should keep it general and not ask teens about their own use. - 16.00%
- The doctor should ask teens about their personal experiences with drugs. - 10.00%
If I needed information about the effects of drugs on the body and brain.
- I would ask my doctor. - 25.00%
- I would be too embarrassed to ask my doctor. - 9.00%
- I would ask an older friend, brother, or sister. - 0.00%
- I would ask a school counselor. - 13.00%
- I would look on the Internet. - 53.00%
If doctors were to ask teens about their possible drug and alcohol use, this show I think most teens would respond.
- Doctors hardly ever ask about my possible drug or alcohol use. - 18.00%
- Teens won’t tell their doctor the truth because they are afraid he/she will tell their parents. - 67.00%
- They will tell the truth because most teens trust their doctor. - 3.00%
- They would be willing to tell the truth about alcohol, but not drugs. - 9.00%
- It’s not my doctor’s business. - 3.00%
When I go for a check-up, this is how my doctor treats the drug and alcohol issue.
- My doctor never talks to me about drugs or alcohol. - 31.00%
- My doctor asks me about my possible alcohol use, but not my drug use. - 13.00%
- My doctor asks me about both. - 29.00%
- The only time it comes up is when I am asked to fill out a form before my appointment. - 18.00%
- The form I fill out before an appointment only asks about alcohol, not drugs. - 9.00%