What is a co-occurring condition?
Co-occurring conditions is the term used to describe two or more disorders or illnesses that occur in the same person. They can exist at the same time, or one after the other. It is sometimes referred to as comorbidity. Below are some common mental health conditions that can be experienced in the same person in different combinations. It is important to know that having one of these conditions does not mean you will have another one.
- attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- autism spectrum disorders
- eating disorders
- obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- substance use disorders (smoking, vaping, using drugs or alcohol)
- thoughts of suicide