This module explains how prescription drugs and some household products can damage the brain and body when used improperly. Household chemicals are called inhalants when they are abused. These substances are particularly prone to abuse because they are often found in the home and are easily accessible. Prescription drugs and inhalants are not dangerous when they are used as intended; however, they can lead to serious side effects, even death, when used inappropriately.
At the end of this module, students can:
- Explain the effects of prescription drugs.
- Explain how prescription drugs affect the functioning of the brain and body when not used properly.
- Understand how inhalants can change the brain.
- Understand why it is important to use medication as instructed.
- Module 3 Magazine (PDF, 4.3 MB)
- Student/Teacher Worksheets (PDF, 668 KB) (Pages 14, 15)
- Parent Guide (PDF, 92 KB)
- Parent Guide (Spanish, PDF, 62 KB)
Download this entire module in PDF format at the following link: Module 3 (PDF, 600 KB).