This activity focuses on steroids and provides you with a classroom activity. We recommend downloading the PDF version of this activity to print out and use with your students. The PDF version has been formatted to make it easier for students to learn, and removes all of the extra information provided on this Web page. To view and use the PDF file, you must have the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Get the total picture of what steroids can do to your brain and body. Complete this diagram by matching the side effect with the body part. Draw a line from the side effect listed on the left to the matching body part on the right.
- Baldness can be caused by steroid abuse.
- Because of how steroids act on the limbic system in the brain, mood swings, including homicidal rage, can occur.
- Taking "roids" can cause pimples to pop up.
- Females who take steroids can become more masculine. Their voices can deepen.
- A condition called atherosclerosis can be caused by steroid use. This condition can lead to a heart attack or stroke.
- When the body’s hormone balance is disrupted by taking steroids, males can develop breasts, a condition called gynecomastia.
- Increased levels of hormones signal bones to stop growing.