Choose artwork for your shirt.
How do I make my T-shirt?
- Find a t-shirt or other cotton item that you can use for your iron-on. Be sure to get permission from your parents first.
- Pick up some iron-on ink-jet transfer paper at your local craft or office supply store. Choose opaque transfer paper for dark-colored items and transparent transfer paper for light-colored items. Transparent transfer paper may help you avoid white outlines around your artwork. Always read the instructions that come with the transfer paper.
- Download the artwork you want, free on the NIDA for Teens Web site.
- Use an inkjet printer to print your downloaded artwork onto the transfer paper. The artwork comes as a two-page PDF document. Page one is a flipped, mirror image (backwards) of the design. Page two is a regular (straightforward) non-flipped image.
- Use an ordinary iron to transfer the design onto your item. Be sure to have a parent supervise you while you are using the hot iron.